to 8 servings
: 15 mn
time : 1 hour
: 20 mn
• 300 g wheat flour,
• 15 g fresh baker's yeast,
• 1 glass (18 cl) warm water (1 tablespoon = 2 cl),
• 250 g good quality lightly salted butter, softened,
• 250 g sugar,
• 1 level teaspoon salt.
• Mix the yeast with the water warm and leave to rise
for 10 min, then pour onto the flour in a mixing bowl, add
• Mix and knead this dough by hand for 5 to 10 min.
Cover the bowl with a cloth and leave the dough to rise for
1 hour in a warm place, until it doubles in volume.
• Preheat the oven, gas mark 7 or 220°.
• Flour the worktop and roll out the dough by hand,
approximately 2 cm thick. Put 200 g butter and 200 g sugar
in the centre, and bring together the edges of the dough to
enclose it all.
• Then put it in a tart dish (preferably in ovenproof
porcelain) and fold over the edges of the dough again, making
a hollow in the middle by pressing it with your fist.
• Soften 50 g of butter until almost melted and pour
it on the dough. Sprinkle with 50 g sugar and put in the oven
on the wire shelf.
• Slide the grill pan into the oven below it, filled
with water. Bake for 20 min.
• The water in the oven creates a humid atmosphere,
giving the Kouign-Amann its special soft texture.
back to the recipes